Through the Meals on Wheels program, the Waterbury Senior Center delivers hot, nutritious lunches to homebound seniors in our service area. We deliver every week, Monday through Friday. Each year, we deliver thousands of meals to area residents.
Who is eligible for Meals on Wheels?
Anyone who meets these requirements is eligible for Meals on Wheels delivery:
- 60 years of age or older (or the spouse of a person 60 years of age or older)
- unable to come to the Senior Center for a meal
- at risk of malnutrition
What towns do we deliver to?
- Waterbury Center
When do deliveries take place?
We aim to get your meal delivered between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday. If you wish to receive meals for the weekend, they will be delivered on Friday, ready for the fridge or freezer.
What is a typical Meals on Wheels menu?
- Each meal provides 3 ounces of protein-rich meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, legumes or nuts.
- At least two ounces of grains, one of which is whole grain, are served at each meal.
- Each meal provides a total of 1 ½ cups of fruit and/or vegetable.
- One serving of milk is offered at each meal.
- Meals high in sodium are kept to once per week.
- One good source of Vitamin A is served at least every other day.
- One vitamin C-rich food is served daily.
How much does each meal cost?
The cost to produce each meal is $12.32. Diners age 60 and older are asked to contribute what they can afford. Those under age 60 can receive a meal for $7.50.